American Family Insurance - Bending the Rules so a Claim can be REJECTED.
Completely dissatisfied with American Family Insurance. Luckily, I do not have a policy with them, but I have recently had to deal with their claims department, and their service is terrible.
Let me share my story. Earlier this week, while I was at work, the windows of our office building were being cleaned by a contracting company. While this work was being done, an employee of the contracting company was moving a ladder so that he might clean some of the windows on the second level of the building. While moving the ladder, the wind picked up a little bit, which knocked the ladder out of his hands, and caused it to fall on my car. They soon notified the building management so that they could be held responsible for the damage to my car. The contracting business owner was helpful from the beginning, taking full responsibility for the accidental damages caused by his employee. He filed a claim with the insurance company that covers his business (American Family Insurance), and said they would be contacting me to take care of the damages for my car.
Too bad it wasn't that simple.
Upon receiving my call from American Family Insurance, they informed me that they would not cover any of the damage expenses for my car to be fixed, because it was considered "damages that were caused by weather conditions". I immediately called the contracting business owner, letting him know that American Family Insurance would not cover any of the damages to my vehicle. He then called his AFI agent, as well as the AFI claim agent that contacted me, and said that the situation was completely his employee's fault, and that they should be paying for the damages, that's why he has insurance for his business. American Family Insurance refused to budge on their stance, and proceeded to tell the business owner that they would have covered the damages had he said that the wind played no part in the accident. So apparently it was better to lie about a situation so that AFI insurance would cover the costs of the accident, rather than tell the truth when it was still a person who was at fault. The employee DROPPED THE LADDER. There wasn't a hurricane that threw the ladder at my car, there was a gust of wind that knocked a ladder out of someone's hands, and it then hit my car. HE DROPPED THE LADDER.
Unfortunate that American Family Insurance Company takes the easy way out, rather than owning up to the situation and paying for the damages. I suppose they would rather lose the trust of their policy holders rather than pay a small claim.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- American Family Insurance
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "My husband of 56 years and I immigrated to the U.S. from the Philippines to live with my daughter and family, and I became an American citizen soon after. ..."
- "I took out a homeowner's and auto policy to be effective April 4, 2016. Ameriprise took information by phone as do other companies and submitted a quote. The..."
- "I had similar issue with Elephant Auto insurance, their customer rear ended my vehicle, tried to flee the scene of the accident, but I caught him and pulled him over...."
- "I have always had suspicions of Thumbtack creating fake leads to take our money, known that other pros submit them to get competitors pricing and thought it possible some were..."
- "I had the same problem. It started when I received an email from Walmart saying my account information had been updated on November 15, 2016. (Photo attached) Problem was I..."
- "I worked with their San Diego location to obtain a loan for a $500k condo in early 2015. Everything seemed too good to be true so I took my wife's..."
- "I took my daughter and 3 of her friends to Sky Zone in Florence, AL. Before I attempted the Warrior Course, I asked the girl that was working the section..."
- "If you are considering buying a home warranty policy from AHS, you really need to have an attorney review the contract. What YOU think it says in black and white,..."
- "Order 32 chairs, 12 of them either have scratch or nails through the back to the front. They never sent me any tracking numbers or delivery date even I called..."